Monday, July 25, 2011

Organizing my tangle patterns


If you ask ten tanglers how to organize their patterns, you will probably get ten different answers. As in Zentangle, there is no right or wrong answer. This happens to be how I like to organize my tangles.

I keep a pad of Post-it notes next to my computer. They measure 2"x2". When I come across a tangle pattern that I think may fit with my style, I draw it onto a Post-it note. I sort-of do the step-by-step - it depends on what I think I need to do that pattern again. I add the name of the pattern and I try to put the name of the person that created it. (I didn't do this when I began but I'm doing it now.)

I have a sketchbook that I then organize my patterns in. The first section of my book has the official tangle patterns. The second section has all the patterns that zentangle fans have created. I try to keep them in alphabetical order. That is, I have one page for each letter of the alphabet. As you can see above, my 'B's and 'C's are getting filled up. As they are post-it notes, I can rearrange them at will.

This particular book has 26 pages (52 if you count both sides). So at the end of the book I also have a couple of pages devoted to string ideas and pages devoted to themes and other design ideas I want to play with later.

This plan works for me. I like to be able to see lots of ideas at the same time. Plus, a small sample is enough to get me going. Let me know what works for you.

13 comments:

  1. Oh that is so great! What a clever gal you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love this system! I think I've come up with too many complex ones and this is sheer perfection.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to use the post its. Like you, I like to see a lot of ideas at once. But if you asked me how to organize the tangles... you wouldn't get one answer, you'd get three. :D I love your idea of having the pages for strings and brainstorming ideas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super idea!! Thank you for blogging about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Versatile and colorful too, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea, Sue. I've just been keeping mine in a small 3x4 sketchbook, but it's not nearly as flexible as yours. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea - I've been wondering how to be able to see all the designs at one time that I've been saving in various locations. I do doodle at my computer patterns that I see - thanks for the inspiration and idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a pretty good idea! i saw your link on pinterest on someone's page - i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been racking my brain on how to organize. You made it so easy. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. great idea i love post its
    i keep mine on a binder ring on 4" x 6" index cards, i try to add them in alphabetical order as i draw them out. This way to i an kinda lay out several to draw at once.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's ok for simple patterns, but how you do it with step-by-step ones? write in on the paper in the sketchbook?
    I was thinking about sorting them on patters as lines with lines, circles with circles...
    But I guess I use this one

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have an Art Profolio to put mine in. It has black pages with clear plastic over the pages to protect them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I have my own system as well. I have a huge book with plastic sheets and I photocopy all the pattern pages I can find and put them in my book. I can make 2, 4, 8, 12, 16 etc...contact sheets to use for reference dependent on how much detail I need in the picture. I store them and peruse them when I need a new idea.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.