Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Plaited - new tangle pattern

click on image to enlarge

I came up with this pattern based on a design from a journal I got at Christmas. On the journal it's a little more complicated but it wasn't too hard to break down. It has certain aspects that remind me of 'Crescent Moon' and a few other tangles. It doesn't have to be done exactly as shown. I hope everyone will have fun with it and add their own interpretation.

The first stage consists of triangles with curved ends. Each row (drawn from top to bottom) should have a different number and different size triangles from the row next to it. Note that the first row of triangles goes one direction and the next goes the opposite way.

In the second stage you connect the sides of the triangles to the the ones next to it. You really want to have variations in the pattern to create interest. Some lines will connect to the triangle next to it (and slightly below it)  but many won't. Remember you WANT the variations.

The 3rd stage fills in the lines that connect the triangles. Then the 4th stage adds lines to the triangles itself. This stage is very much like 'Crescent moon'.

The last stage has the tangle completed with shading added. You may also notice I added a few 'sparkles' by skipping a few spaces in the linework.

19 comments:

  1. I like this one alot! Thanks for sharing! love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tangle Sue! I love the way that you brought the sample to life with your shading! This one looks like fun...where is my sketch book?... Thanks for sharing your art with us!
    Aloha,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great looking tangle. I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of this one! My first attempt was a disaster, but then I realized I hadn't exactly followed your instructions! Will keep trying. :-)
    --Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Sue, I like it! And its space for own interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this new tangle!
    I look forward to try it out.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue, these instructions are clearer than previously. Thanks for a lovely pattern!
    --Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  8. The picture won't enlarge enough for me to see the detail?Any tips on enlarging it further?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne - the picture should enlarge as big as your screen allows. Just click on the picture itself. You can even right click to save it to your computer and then print it out.

      Delete
    2. Is their a feature on your keyboard to enlarge the print or picture? I have a toggle-type button on my keyboard. You could look in the owners' manual. I use mine every day-love it! Hope you find the 'Zoom'.

      Delete
  9. Wow! That's just gorgeous, and so beautifully graphic. I'm really going to enjoy learning--and using, this lovely tangle. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Sue. It looks challenging but fun. Can't wait to try it.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this tangle, but your instructions are terrible. It was easier to just look at the last picture and figure it out myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input - being an artist and not a professional writer, this is always a challenge for me. I'd appreciate your suggestions as to what exactly would improve the directions.

      Delete
  12. Well I'm a complete beginner and I thought your instructions were just fine, THANK YOU for sharing this pattern. One I will definitely explore x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sue. I love Plaited. I am just new enough to tangling that this one is difficult for me. Have you ever considered doing a video for this one. I would really like to incorporate this into my sketch book for go-to tangles. If you cannot do that, I will just really work hard to figure this out. It is too cool to not use it. Thanks. Nancy P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue, Thank you for sharing your tangles. I've combined Plaited with Paradox, and I love the outcomed!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.