Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Zentangle and Decorative Painting - my story


Zentangle and Decorative Painting

I started as a decorative painter many years ago. I had just moved to a new town and joined a local community group to make friends and do some charitable work. They sponsored a craft fair. For our booth at the fair we painted and personalized wooden lawn ornaments in the shape of Canadian geese. (Now does that date me or what!)

I just had to paint more so I started classes with Jo Ann Reeves. Jo Ann has since moved away but she introduced me to all the paints, all the brushes, strokework and Dolly Parton hearts. She also got me into Windy Brushes of Northern Illinois, and the Society of Decorative Painters.

I have continued on that journey , learning about acrylics, watercolor, colored pencils, pastels, and even a little oil paint. I even painted murals in my area until my shoulders started to give me problems. 

About two years ago I discovered Zentangle when I happened upon it on the internet. I was very quickly hooked. I went from one site to another. I was inspired by all the wonderful work I was seeing. I kept bookmarking one site after another. And I found I actually had some of the supplies up in my painting stash already. So I was off and running.

In Feb. 2011 I was able to attend the CZT (Certified Zentangle Teacher training) in Massachusetts. I came back all enthused and ready to go. Luckily I knew a great shop. Banbury Fair, in Bartlett IL is run by Sandy Braun. Sandy has been a great friend to decorative painting through the years. I began to teach classes there and continue to teach there now. I teach for local groups and do home parties too. I'm willing to travel teach too.

Zentangle continues to inspire me. It helps me to see the world in new ways. I hope to share the excitement I feel with you!

Today, I am lucky to be the featured author on the Society of Decorative Painters blog. http://decorativepainters.org/blog/ To all the decorative painters who are reading this blog through that link - Welcome! And Happy Tangling!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Zendala tile! Refreshing to see different colour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely delightful Sue, I can see why you have so enjoyed zentangling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Zendala, and the article you wrote is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.