Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Zenbuttons/Spundalas


Zenbuttons and spundalas, these are the new fun techniques people are trying in the zentangle world. Zenbuttons came from the mind of Marguerite Samama, a CZT from Amsterdam. Her Zenbuttons create the string and add shading. A Spundala is similar but adds color using a kids toy commonly called a paint spinner and markers. 

I've combined the two techniques here. I didn't have a paint spinner but I remembered that we had a kids pottery wheel stored in the basement.  I needed to hit the store for new batteries but found that this worked just fine. - In fact, I think I liked it better because this didn't have the high sides that the paint spinners have so it was easier to control the color from my markers.


This is the toy pottery wheel I had in my basement. I attached my tile to the wheel with a couple of pieces of tape rolled up. That worked fine.



This was the first picture I took of my 'finished' tile. When I looked at it up close on my computer screen I decided it needed more shading. I went back in with colored pencils and added more depth.




1 comment:

  1. Oooo - clever idea with the pottery wheel. I like the way people take an idea and then expand how they might achieve it. Your result is lovely, so bright and shiny. I think it's true that more shading is always better on these beauties!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.