Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Adeline tangle


Click on the picture to see more detail.

I like things that look complicated. When I saw this I fell in love with it. I had to figure out how to draw it.This tangle was inspired by a design in a Dover book - Architectural Borders, Scrolls, and Cartouches. This is something you might see carved into stone at a church or mansion from the gilded age.

It starts out with slash marks that keep the spacing even and guides you where to start and stop your double S curves. I like to measure out some penciled guidelines to get me started. I keep the pencil lines light so it erases cleanly later. You can  turn the paper so the S flows more naturally.  The second row of double S curves will fit right in like puzzle pieces. Add your little ornaments next. The last line shows how the curled areas are added and details go on the ornamented areas.
I've shown a completed design on top with line-work and shading. I love how it really comes to life.

Please note - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE PENCILED LINES OR A RULER. This is a trickier pattern so you may want to practice this a couple of times in your sketchbook. Once you have the hang of it you will be able to just go for it without using a pencil or ruler.

I named it Adeline in honor of my mom. She is gone now but I know she would have been fascinated with zentangles and loved this new tangle I developed. I think it describes both her strength and her appreciation for the workmanship that went into these hand-carved beautys. Like moms everywhere, she encouraged me to develop my talents and broaden my horizons. Thanks mom.


11 comments:

  1. Thanks Sue for working out your lovely Adeline tangle, I'm off to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelly - I've always considered you one of the zentangle 'rock stars!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again.....beautiful beautiful beautiful!!! And your story of your mother is very touching! I may branch out and try to design my first tangle and name it after my son who passed in'95...Thank you for sharing your amazing work. Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This a beautiful tangle and I especially love how you have shaded and highlighted it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this tangle is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you have analyzed what appears to be quite a complicated pattern/design and simplified it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, what a wonderful pattern. I'm going to try this one. I love how you've honored your Mom in this one. I'm going to friend you on Google, I really enjoy your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. please, please, please submit this to tanglepatterns so I can add it to my Springpad notebook! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Sue for the beautiful pattern. Its delicate and intricate and makes an amazing border. My first attempt was a bit dodgy but hey practise makes perfect. God bless you Sue.
    Revelation 20:12,13 (For the memory of your mum)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your beautiful tangle. It is delicate and intricate to a gorgeous balance. Makes a beautiful border! God bless you Sue.
    Revelation 20:12,13 (For the memory of your Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I have recently found your blog and I love it. Been learning zentangle for about a year, on my own thru books and blogs. I am learning so much by posts and pictures of different tangles. Thank you for teaching and showing us so many patterns. I always look forward to your posts and am learning a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.