Friday, April 22, 2011

Pysanky

Yes, These are all eggs I've done.  Click on picture to enlarge.
Pysanky, Ukrainian Easter Eggs. I've been making these for several years now. I'm not Ukrainian at all. I learned from a girlfriend back in college. That was (ahem) a few years ago. But I got all the supplies and bought a bunch of books, and kept challenging myself. I've even taught some of my friends to keep the tradition going. I make them as Christmas ornaments along with the usual Easter decor.

I've found patterns that I already use in zentangles in my eggs and found some new ones too. My egg books are a great resource for ideas.
 These eggs are all blown out. Traditionally, the eggs are left intact and they dry out naturally. However it's normal to lose a few when the gases cause an egg to explode (small explosion). When it's an egg you are really pleased with it's heartbreaking, so I always blow my eggs out now.
They are done with a wax resist process. You start with a white eggs and apply melted wax with a tool called a kistka. You put the wax every place you want the white to remain. This is usually the 'string'. You put the egg into a yellow dye bath next. Again you apply wax everyplace you want the yellow to remain. This continues through progressively darker colors until you get what you want. Then you remove all the wax. Traditionally this is by holding the egg next to the flame of a candle and wiping the wax off as it melts. When it's all done, I varnish them. There is a good explanation with pictures here.  http://learnpysanky.com/steps.html

Yes, it takes some time do do an egg. I am proud of them and expect my children will be happy to pass them down in years to come.

12 comments:

  1. oh my!! these are absolutely gorgeous and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazing and wow the process sounds time consuming but very much fun. I have always loved the Ukranian Eggs and yours are especially nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe! Your eggs are beautiful. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made pysanky in 30 years but you are definitely making me think about trying it again! Beautiful work and extremely well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are totally awesome....I can't even draw lines that good with pen and ink, let alone a Kistka!!! I'm so glad you showed these, beautiful beyond words!!! and lovely patterns/colors....great works of art. I'm sure your family will hand them down....gently!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, they are totally wonderful, my grandson and I have been looking at all the wonderful eggs and have just loved them. I would love to learn this process someday, for now it will be a Zentangle Egg. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow, wow. Absolutely beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are quite gorgeous. I've always loved Ukrainian Easter eggs. I used to have quite a few and even tried making them some years ago. I have a kit somewhere...
    --Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your eggs are awesome! They are so much like zentangle designs it must have been a lot of fun to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, these Pysanky eggs are beautiful! How very patient one must be to complete this process so beautifully. Thanks for explaining the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great article, beautiful pysanky thanks for showing the artistic talent.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.