Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Phicops challenge


I'm so glad to get back into the challenges. I find the prompts from Laura "the Diva", lead me to so many new ways of exploring zentangle and art in general. Glad to have you back Laura!

This challenge asks us to use a new tangle that B-rad (her hubby) came up with. Go here to find the instructions. http://iamthedivaczt.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-challenge-101.html
This tangle, 'Phicops', is a lot of fun to draw and shade.

As I was thinking about what I wanted to do I spotted this zendala tile that I had previously added color to. Since 'Phicops' was partially inspired by the shape of a shell I decided to go with a water inspired theme. I imagined I was looking out of an underwater porthole.

The photo below is the tile with just the background done. - I know the coloring looks a little different but that's what happens when you take the picture late at night under artificial light with the camera on your phone! I used a pink ironing board for my background too ! LOL!


The background is done with Tombow markers and a watercolor technique. The tangles are done with a blue Micron pen and shaded with a colored pencil.

14 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and such a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the watercolor technique....gorgeous! The blue pen and shading just sets off the beautifully penned patterns! It is an undersea wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I just love your design using Phicops. The layout and patterns look wonderful. I like Phicops but just can't figure out what I want to do with it. Love yours. I can't wait to see what you are offering at Hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful, you have really achieved exactly what u set out to do... It's wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love the blue and the whole feel of your tile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely gorgeous! the water theme speaks to my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very beautiful; I love the tangles you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful ocean scene. Love the blue background it is the finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like the blue. Also like the stippling effect carried throughout the different tangles. Is a nice effect. Can almost envision that if you look at it long enough will see some brightly colored fish suddenly swim by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this version of the Phicops, as I saw it as a shell, also. This is such a lovely ocean scene. Gotta try that background effect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This tile is stunning! And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE each and every other tangle you've used in this tile! It all flows so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting and unique. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the way you are thinking outside the Zentangle box! Using a variety of tools makes your Tangle stand out!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.