Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Picture in a picture

This challenge was to find an image. Adhere it to a tile. And tangle around it. I found an image in some junk mail. It spoke to me as I'm getting ready to go on a trip to Germany.  I'm looking forward to exploring the country.
I decided to add color with my Inktense pencils since the image I began with was colored. Fun tile.

Friday, May 19, 2017

string thing 195

Adele Bruno has a challenge on her blog for using a particular string and specified tangles. I haven't done many of the challenges lately but this week I got the bug and had to try it out. I was inspired to try out the technique of linking one tangle to another. You can see the way the Printemps and Strutz connect. The tangles used here are Printemps from Zentangle, Strutz from Sarah Fowler, and Tessell from Judy Okawa,  If you want to try it yourself the link is  http://tickledtotangle.blogspot.com/2017/05/its-string-thing-195.html.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017


Moonstripes is what I'm calling this tile. I had one thing in my head when I started but as Zentangle often does, it ended up going in a different direction when I finished.

 I started with a black Zentangle tile. I used a Zenstone to do a few quick string lines. I went to grab my white Sakura gellyroll pen but instead I grabbed my Sakura clear glaze gellyroll pen. The clear pen makes beautiful lines that also act as a resist so I ended up deciding to go in a new direction. I took two pictures here so you could see the glaze lines better. I also used my Zenstone to highlight the 'moon' area.

I then picked up the Zenstone that I used to do my string. Using a metal file I scraped the Zenstone and created dust. (I like to call it Fairy Dust!)

With my fingertip, I gently rubbed the white dust into the paper. Wherever the pen lines were, the dust did not stick. After it was all rubbed in I went over some areas again to remove any dust from on top of the glaze lines. Fun project!

I love experimenting with my tools and seeing what different effects I get. Have fun with your supplies!

Thursday, May 4, 2017


A quick tile I did last night. The diva challenged us to try a tangle named Scallamps that was deconstructed by Sarah Uram. This tangle was new to me. It seems to me to be a tangleation of several other patterns.

As I looked at it it reminded me of some type of fantasy sea life so I went with that theme. I know zentangle is really more non-represetational. (It shouldn't look like anything). So this is definately a ZIA - zentangle inspired art.

I used a green Micron pen to do the Scallamps and Mooka fish. The color was added with Inktense pencils and then a water brush.