Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Paper doll zendala


The challenge this week is to be inspired by dolls. At first I didn't know what I was going to do. I even considered skipping it. But I would be so embarrassed to miss a challenge so I knew I had to come up with something. I started to think about all the possibilities. I could tangle a paper doll shape, I could tangle a cloth doll. But I wasn't thrilled with those ideas. I thought about doing a paper doll chain - you know, where the paper is folded and then cut so it looks like they are holding hands. That's when I started doing a search on the web for paper doll chain templates. And that's when I found it! A paper doll chain done in the round. OK - NOW I was cooking! I could adapt the template to fit a zendala. 


The triangle at the lower left is the template I found on the web. It was a little too large for the zendala, and I wanted to play with the shapes, so I sketched a little, got out my scissors and cut out the template in the center. I then taped it to a piece of paper I had folded 4 times and cut out the big shape.


Here it is, unfolded and laid on top of my zendala. It's still a little too big but that's okay, I can work with it.


I smoothed it out and traced it onto my zendala. Then I got out my pen and started the tangling. That was fun! A little shading and wow, I was really happy with the end result. At first glance you really can't tell that there are doll shapes there, but that's half the fun. See the finished piece at the top.


I also tried doing less folds so I only had 4 repeats. I didn't like this quite as much, but since I already have the string on the tile I may just do it anyway when I have a chance.

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful and creative. I like the symmetrical patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for showing us through the stages. It was fascinating. The finished work is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super, when I first looked at the picture, it reminded me of a swirling 50's skirt, it was only reading your story that I could then see the dolls. Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clever and beautiful way to approach the challenge. I could see the dolls straight away - but not glaringly so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever, Sue - thank you so much for sharing the process. Your finished Zendala is, as always, super-elegant and deceptive in its simplicity. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking us along in your creative process. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT idea. I had a somewhat similar one (although not in the round)…check out mine at Ginny Stiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's hear it for Zen-dollys! Great minds think alike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So creative ! I love the look of your finished paper doll zendala. Thank you for sharing your process in such detail. I think I will have to try it now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifull, and I like the park hair! What a creative way to do this challenge. Love your process, thx for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your paper doll zendolla tutorial is GREAT! Thanks for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea and so well done. Thanks for sharing the process, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zendala is a great idea. I didn't get past doing the straight line.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your zendala with the paper dolls holding hands :-) So creative! And thank you for showing the process to draw them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a neat Tile. Love your creativity, Sue. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a creative idea. I have done paper snowflakes for making Zendalas, but who'd have thought to make paper dolls? Well, you, of course! Thanks for this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really cool!!! Great idea for a zendala.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's quite a process you went through, but your end result is well worth it. Interesting and beautiful. I just took a deep breath and sketched a cut out doll dress----a huge stretch for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nicely done! It was great that you shared your process too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would never have guessed that's what it was by looking at your zendala. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cette composition est très originale. dans un premier temps je n'ai pas vu la chaîne de poupées. J'aime beaucoup !

    This composition is very original. at first I did not see the doll chain. I love!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! That's it...just WOW! You've embraced this challenge to the fullest and it is AMAZING! Great job! I've only participated in 3 challenges so far and have struggled with letting go and embracing the guidelines...I might have to bookmark this to use for inspiration with future challenges...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Zendala is amazing. All the different dresses on your dollies, beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You really went all out on this one! Beautiful work. It reminds me of when we were little and used to lay down on the spinning merry-go-round at the playground. Uh-oh, I'm getting dizzy...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sue, this is amazing. First, I love that you didn't back down from the challenge. I knew that the doll idea might not appeal to everyone, but I hoped that people would find a way to make it their own. Your paper doll-inspired zendala string was a perfect idea. I love how when it's filled you don't even realize it's dolls unless you know. It's like it has a secret. Thank you for playing with my challenge this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.