Friday, June 29, 2012

Home is where the heart is


The diva challenge this week is titled 'Home'. The Diva did a tile based on where she lives in Canada and a few of the other submissions I saw portrayed elements of their gardens. I have a brown thumb so my garden isn't very inspirational. The only thing I can grow are perennials that somehow survive on their own and come up year after year. (You may remember my peonies late in May.) So I thought and I thought about what home means to me. As I was looking through some photos from a recent family wedding I knew what I wanted to do.

Home is my family. - wherever that family may be. Our family has grown in the last few years with three granddaughters all under the age of 4. When we were last all together, the girls were very active, crawling or running all around. There was lots of action, ribbons in their hair, and lots of pink.

I used a tangle pattern (that is on my blog in the tangle pattern gallery) called 'Tootsie'. Tootsie is something I drew in my school notebooks many years ago - and I know a lot of others were drawing it too. I didn't invent it - I just named it and threw it out there for everyone to use. Tootsie became my string for this tile.

This tile began with a colored background I did with my Tombow markers and a watercolor technique. A white gelly roll pen, colored pencil shading and chalk pencil highlights complete it.

9 comments:

  1. ooooh, love the colors and the use of white to draw. Also I'll have to try your "tootsie".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little pink tootsies - how sweet! I love your tile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun file Sue, I can just see your grandchildren running around and having a blast with Grandma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely tile you made. Wonderful colours this background.

    Annemarie Huijts

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous! I love the little tootsies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those little tootsies and I agree that this is what home is all about! I love your tile, it is really fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is beautiful, sue! i love the colored background and the sweet little tootsies :) so precious. I think you should make 2 more and frame them for your granddaughters. what a sweet treasure that would be for them!

    and now i'm going to check out your patterns - once again - and check on that tootsie one :) have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your "pretty in pink" tile, Sue. You are right, as long as we have family... I am going to look at your gallery, I didn't know about it previously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so sweet, I love it! love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.