Monday, April 18, 2011

Eggs in the field


I started this tile even before I saw the Diva's new challenge. And as I finished it I realized it followed some of the same steps that a tangle pattern does. Do I really think this is a pattern? No, not really. But I do think that it is interesting to show the steps.

You will notice that I use an oval template. I think that for eggs it's important to get the shape right, and I can't do that freehand. I also found the template very helpful because I wanted to show perspective - I wanted to do my eggs so that the ones further away were smaller than the ones in front. With an oval template like this one, you just pick a smaller oval as you move to the next row.

Color - This one is done with colored pencil. First I put in the white highlight and made it a strong mark. Then I went over the whole eggs with a medium shade of my chosen color. I used a light touch on this first layer. I used the same color on the top of each oval but I used the pencil more firmly. At the bottom of the oval I used a darker shade to round each egg out. I then went back with either a colorless blender or another lighter shade and burnished the whole egg. The grass uses two shades of green.

11 comments:

  1. I never liked egg hunts....all the other kids found the eggs before me!! But these are so lovely, it makes me want to hide the plastic eggs I just bought at Michaels and let my dog find them....wouldn't that be fun for her!!!

    this is a lovely picture..and thanks for the drawing info, I will try to do one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your colouring on the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! And I do think your steps show a pattern. You are alternating oval shapes with stem shapes. So you have alternation, repetition and contrast enough to create a motif. I think it's a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's very cute. Don't know whether I'd classify it as a ZT pattern or not, but it is definitely *a* pattern. Thank you for sharing the steps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you put this together and I adore the pastel colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sue for sharing the steps, your shading and touch of light on top is really eggzzzzellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Easter eggs in the grass. Just makes you want to go hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you about the shape and I too am a little bit of a perfectionist when it comes to that. You've done a great job and your color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your colorful pastel eggs, so sweet! I think it is a pattern but I would go the lopsided freehand route on my version. I call that my artistic license (AKA - why my lines are a little off and wobbly, it's just character?).
    Yours are beautifully done and your color and shading are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.