Friday, March 14, 2014

Pi Day



March 14th is known as Pi day. Pi Day is an annual celebration commemorating the mathematical constant π (pi). Pi Day is observed on 3/14 in the U.S., since 3, 1, and 4 are the three most significant digits of π in the decimal form. It's become a tradition to celebrate it with pies. My son went out to the grocery store to pick out a good one. I'm looking forward to it.

 I decided to do a zendala inspired by Pie. A nice golden crust with all sorts of yummy tangles inside! I started with one of my hand colored zendala tiles , used a brown Micron pen and shaded with brown colored pencil.


My youngest son is a bit of a geek. He is studying chemical engineering at The Ohio State University. When he starts talking about what he is learning I almost think he is speaking a foreign language. So he was all for celebrating Pi Day with a pie!


I also wanted to share some zendalas that were created in my last zendala class at Banbury Fair in Bartlett. We had a lot of fun exploring the variety of ways to create a zendala.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cake you have drawn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pi Day - what a great idea!! So glad your geeky son enjoyed your celebration of it too, lol!! What fun. Your Pi zentangle looks just like pastry crust - the right colour and everything! Well done indeedy. (I wonder if they have a Fibonacci Day, too? Lots of potential for art work there!!)

    Thanks so much for your visit, and your lovely comment, and I'm glad you like my mini zentangles on the teabag stains. The patterns they left were too lovely to ignore, and they had to dictate where the zentangles went. They are the smallest ones I've ever drawn! I can't believe how much potential for art there is in the humble teabag. My imagination is leaping ahead of me, and there's so much fun to be had with them.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.