Monday, March 17, 2014

St Patrick's Day





Happy St Patrick's Day! 

Here in Chicago they actually dye the Chicago river green. Then the parade begins shortly after. I had hoped to see it in person after seeing it on TV many times . We drove to the city for dinner but by the time we passed by the river it was dark. We could tell the water had a greenish hue to it but that was it. More interesting was our dinner experience. We went to a wonderful restaurant called HB Home Bistro. It is in the bar area where many young adults live. Parking was terrible but once we found a spot and got seated at a table by the window, the fun began. Being in the city on St Patrick's Day weekend is quite entertaining if you enjoy people watching. There was a wide variety of green apparel; green kilts, suits and tutus! And of course the accessories! Green glasses, beads and hats. Fun!


This tile was done on one of my hand colored papers with a green Micron pen and shaded with colored pencils. The two tangles are 'Paradox' and 'Lucky' by Adele Bruno.


This picture came from WGN Dean Richards. The dye used is orange when it first goes in and then a motorboat is driven around to mix the color in. And yes, the dye is eco friendly.




13 comments:

  1. an interesting story and a perfect tile for St Patrick's Day - lovely background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tile. Thanks for the story about Chicago, I enjoyed reading it, and enjoyed the photo of the green river.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo of the river and a lovely tile! Would love to learn how you are hand coloring your tiles. They are always such a luscious color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tile - I have one very similar!! St Patrick's Day has no real significance here in Andalucia - I don't even know any Irish expats in this area but glad people are enjoying the celebration all over - and painting the 'town' green for the occasion! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice tile. As soon as I saw the pic, I knew it was Chicago! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tile! Chicago must be lots of fun on St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tile with this green colour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to see the green chicago river. It's kinda gross though... & a very strange thing to do anyway. I wonder how much it costs for the city to do that? I know chicago has a huge Irish background, but turning a river green seems to be a weird tribute to that heritage...

    & Your tile is lovely! I'm gonna love all the green in this weeks challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tile is beautiful and thank you for sharing the story. I didn't know anyplace made any fuss over St. Patrick's day anymore. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous tile and great tangle choices. And I agree with Jean, thanks for sharing the story & pic about the river in Chicago. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.