Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pea-Nuckle vs pinochle


The latest challenge is to use the newest official tangle pattern. Pea-Nuckle is the newest tangle from Molly and instructions for it are in the last zentangle newsletter  here. This tangle pattern took a try or two to get right but since it incorporates the letter 'S' I knew it would be right up my alley.

The name Pea-Nuckle sounds so much to me like Pinochle. Pinochle is a card game that my grandfathers loved to play. At family gatherings the women would head to the kitchen to clean up while the men would head to the card table. The picture below was taken back in 1957 at one of those card games. It seems odd today that the men would get fully dressed with their dress shirts and ties for a family dinner. Usually I wasn't encouraged to be with the men. I don't know why I was allowed this time. 

When I think about Pinochle I think about the cards and the yellow haze in the air from the cigars. So that's what influenced this tile. The background is a watercolor wash with various shades of yellows and browns. Pen is a sepia Micron and shading is a colored pencil.



13 comments:

  1. Pea-Nuckle vs pinochle, oh thank you for the story that complements your tile so well. Very nice story within the tile too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing better than a good tangle is a good tangle with meaning. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pea-nuckle is so well done. Love your tile and your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You win Sue, such fun, the pattern fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story to go with your equally lovely tangle

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever! These cards are beautiful. And so is your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, your memories of years past served you well for this creation. It is clever how you incorporated pea-buckle with pinochle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely tile! And your story describes my memories of childhood holiday gatherings perfectly! The men with cigars playing pinochle and the ladies cleaning up! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tile and even better story! I, too, thought of the card game Pinochle but didn't mention it in my blog because I didn't know how to spell it!:) I love your picture - those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like your story, and pea-nuckle looks great in cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like your story and your Pinochle inspired Pea-Nuckle

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story, picture and memory. And great job making the pea-nuckle into pinochle cards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool tile and story. I am old enough to remember when we all got dressed up for family dinners, like Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving and Mother's Day. I had forgotten; and now that I'm the host of all those events, I'm sure glad we don't dress up anymore, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.