Friday, May 18, 2012

Sepia and my template collection

 I was having fun with the sepia challenge so I decided to do another one. To start this one I pulled out another one of my templates to create the string.

I know using templates and stencils is not the preferred way to do a traditional zentangle. But ultimately the goal is to find the place that gives you your own zen - and since there are no rules in zentangle, this works for me. I don't always use a template - I like the free flowing ones that I sometimes get by hand too. But if I'm feeling stuck, a template can start my creative juices flowing. Below are a collection of templates that I have found useful. They include the usual ones you find in art supply stores but also scrap-booking supplies and even a medical french catheter scale. (I have no recollection of where I found that one!) Not pictured are a collection of clear plates in various sizes and rolls of tape that I use to get circle shapes from too.

The one rule I have for myself however, is that I never use my templates with a pen. I always use a pencil with a template and then do the pen work by hand. I feel that this give my work a more authentic feel.

 This is a french curve. There are other sizes and shapes also. 

The template on the left is the one I used in the sepia tile above. I just mixed up a variety of the openings until I got something I liked.

17 comments:

  1. I love the bold separation achieved with the templates, I love seeing different ideas. Thanks for the inspiration. Hugs lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to get started. I've used circle templates, but I have to dig out some of my quilting templates and try them. This turned out really special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful zentangle, and great idea with the templates, I put all my old drafting tools away, guess it's time to get them out again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you, Sue. Whatever brings you to your zen is what you should do. I found out early on that using a ruler, circle template and an ERASER! when necessary made me far more relaxed than being disheartened with my results ever did!! Love the white lines you left on your zentangle. Great tile!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tile, I agree that only using the templates with pencil is important. I think part of the beauty of the Zentangle process is the quality of hand-drawn lines for the final tile. I can't relate to a perfect circle in my tiles, wonky is my friend! (or my artistic license?) :) Lovely as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I also use templates and stencils, and a compass and protractor when creating a mandala, but I too always draw these in pencil, and then do the pen work free-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tile is beautiful. I like your idea, how to begin the process. There have been times my mind is blank like the tile. It helps to have a few props to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The white outlines work fantastically!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tile, I like the whit spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the template idea! I get stuck on the string soooooo often and then end up doing it too many times! I'm going to "tangle lift" your idea .....please! (tangle-lifting is my version of borrowing ideas with my eyes, similar to scraplifting!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks again Sue for another idea to inspire me!! Love the way you tangled the template!

    ReplyDelete
  12. another beautiful tile, Sue. Neat idesa for spicing up our tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have 5 of the same templates you do:) I wish I had the one you used for this tile - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tile. Love the white space separating your patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice tile. That negative 'string' space is pleasingly different! Never thought to use templates to draw a string. And as you said, the goal is to "find the place that gives you your own zen".
    And I agree with Judi... I, too, am more comfortable when I have a ruler, templates and an eraser on my toolbox.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love them, there are beautiful! love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love that idea as I am often unhappy with the string when I start and it is hard to overcome that dislike at the piece grows. I will have to try it with some of my own. I like the collection of tangles as well... each seems to fit its space contentedly.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and most appreciated. Please email me if you want a response sent to you.

I regret that I've had to add the verification again due to a large amount of spam.